HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT PACKAGING TAPE
Selecting the right packaging tape plays a key role in preventing product damage during transit.
BY THE NUMBERS
10% of all e-commerce orders arrive with damaged packaging or damaged contents.
WHY USING THE RIGHT TAPE MATTERS
Using the wrong packaging tape increases the likelihood of product damage during shipment, resulting in:
- Unhappy customers: They’ll be less likely to purchase from you again.
- Added costs: Replacing the damaged product and re-shipping it are costly.
- Excess waste: Damaged products are a source of waste in the landfill and carbon emissions.
Selecting the proper packaging tape helps to avoid this wasteful and costly scenario.
CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ASPECTS WHEN SELECTING YOUR PACKAGING TAPE:
- Box Weight: Tailor your packaging tape to handle the weight of the box. Light boxes need standard adhesives, while heavy ones require a more robust tape.
- Storage Conditions: Consider the conditions that your package will be stored in, such as hot or cold temperatures or high humidity. Certain tapes are built to handle these extremes, so make sure to choose accordingly.
- Shipping and Handling: Opt for packaging tape with a stronger tensile strength for items shipping long distances or with multiple handlers.
- Printability: Custom-printed packaging tape is an excellent marketing tool. In fact, 61% of online shoppers say that branded or gift-like packaging gets them excited about receiving the product. Be sure to choose a tape that allows for good printability if you are looking for custom branding.
FOUR PACKAGING TAPES TO CHOOSE FROM
1. ACRYLIC TAPE:
THE “EVERYMAN’S” TAPE
- Versatile: Suitable for most surfaces, temperatures, and environments. Works well for applications involving refrigerated products and for when UV resistance is needed.
- Professional appearance: Provides excellent clarity and doesn’t yellow over time. Good for printed or white cartons, since the tape won’t obscure the carton design.
- Long-lasting: The tape’s adhesion increases over time, thus making it a great option for products that have a long shelf life
- Doesn’t work well on heavy boxes
2. HOT MELT TAPE:
STRONG AND EASY TO USE
- Heavy-duty: Adheres quickly to the box, with strong adhesion. This makes it great for heavy boxes, overstuffed cartons, and shipments that face rough handling. It is also an ideal choice for boxes high in recycled content.
- User-friendly: Easy unwind and quick adhesion make hot melt tape easy to use for both hand and machine applications
- Branding: Perfect for custom-printing
- Fares poorly in extreme temperatures and humidities, including refrigerated environments.
- The tape tends to yellow over time.
HOW DOES EACH TAPE PERFORM?
3. NATURAL RUBBER TAPE:
WORKS WHEN OTHER TAPES AREN'T STICKING
- Works in any environment: Excels in hot, cold, or humid conditions. It provides great adhesion to any surface, including when applied in a dusty or dirty environment.
- Malleability: it works on packages that aren’t a standard shape/size.
- A go-to for when other tapes aren’t sticking
- Comes with a higher price tag than acrylic and hot melt tapes.
- The tape yellows the quickest of any carton-sealing tape
4. WATER-ACTIVATED TAPE:
FOR A SECURE, TAMPER-EVIDENT SEAL
- Strong and versatile: Gives a powerful seal that works for the heaviest boxes and in any environment. It stands up to rough shipping and handling conditions.
- Tamper-evident: Water-activated tape can’t be removed without cutting through it, making it obvious when the carton is opened.
- Branding: Perfect for custom-printing
- Requires a machine to dispense the tape, which adds some initial investment and makes it less portable.
THE BOTTOM LINE
Keep your shipments safe by choosing the right packaging tape
Selecting the right packaging tape is crucial for keeping packages properly sealed during shipping. To ensure that your product arrives to the customer in perfect condition, you need to choose the right packaging tape for your unique application.